2010 – The Year of Doing (What was I thinking?)

Originally posted on another site on 9 February 2010.

When I said that at the beginning of the year, I was referring to writing, submitting, trying to get published. It all sounded so easy, well…easy when written down on paper, that is. However, as is the way of the world, the cosmos took it to mean something else and has since bombarded me with other things that need “doing”. And I can’t do these things tomorrow or next week, it has to be today. Now!!

It started out with the anthology being converted for upload at Smashwords. I had ten days to do the conversion, but due to a family commitment that ten days turned into six. I managed it with a day to spare so that was good. However, since then I haven’t had time to check on how that projects is going because one thing after the other has been thrown at me.

Not all of them have been bad things. There have been six birthdays and a 60th wedding anniversary in the last three weeks. But there has also been the news from my son that he’s moving overseas to live for 18 months and everything in his town house had to be sold or gotten rid of (in two weeks!). There was plenty of “doing” where that was concerned and I’m exhausted as a result (and that’s not taking into consideration the emotional strain on me either).

On top of all this, I’ve also had to endure constant train delays – due to lightening strikes mainly. It started with the incident the other week and hasn’t improved in the slightest since. In fact, last Thursday the storms finally got the ultimate result and caused a land slide and train derailment. Of course, it was my train, but I drove that day as I had to pick up my son from his now empty town house and take him home with me. That plan didn’t quite pan out but it meant that I was in the right place at the right time for a change. I wasn’t on the train when it derailed (no one was hurt, by the way). It meant I didn’t have to walk in the pouring rain to where the train and road met and catch a coach the rest of the way home. But it also meant that I couldn’t get home as the landslide blocked the highway so I had to invade my parent’s home. Luckily, they didn’t mind having their daughter home with them for the evening.

On Friday morning, I borrowed clothes, makeup and anything else I needed in order to go to work feeling refreshed (it didn’t quite work as I didn’t sleep well in my old room, which I found surprising). I listened to the news reports all day which told me the highway had only two lanes open and the trains were still not running. I phoned my son for updates on his “cleaning” progress at the town house a couple of times in the afternoon trying to motivate him to get the job finished. After work I picked up my son and we headed home expecting long delays, but was thankful when we didn’t have them.

We encountered those delays on Saturday when we had to drive back down the mountain. We sat at one set of lights for 45 minutes. Cars stopped in every direction while road crew stood around watching the flooded road fix itself (not!).

The Year of Doing isn’t panning out how I envisioned. I haven’t had the time or energy to do anything writing related since I returned to work on 11 January. I feel so exhausted that I’m lucky to get through the work day, let alone try to be creative on the train or at home.

I’m hoping that all this “doing” will stop very soon.

Leave a Comment

I accept the Privacy Policy

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.