The new WordPress allows the user to update plugins with a quick click of a button – no downloading the new file then uploading it to the server and then activating it. Life is becoming so much easier with each year that passes, in terms of technology.
Recently, I used this new system to update several plugins. I’ve done it before and never experienced any problems. However, this time, was different. This time, something went wrong and although I could login to WordPress and make my way to the dashboard, that was as far as I could go. I couldn’t post, I couldn’t go to the plugin page and deactivate the offending plugin (which I didn’t know which one it was anyway) and I couldn’t add links, pages, update the theme or anything. It’s been a real pain in the rear.
A couple of people suggested that I access the files via ftp and just deleted the plugin file. I was hesitant to do this as I thought it might wreck the inner workings of WordPress. But, a desperate person will chance anything so half an hour ago, that’s what I did – I deleted the plugin file.
I don’t know if there’s an adverse affects, but I’m writing this post which is something I couldn’t do this morning so maybe I’ll be up and running again now. Only time will tell. If you see anything unusual, please leave a comment and let me know.